Details on Missing Evidence Resurfaced after 15 Years with Letter of Apology
MISSING EVIDENCE RESURFACED AFTER 15 YEARS WITH CREDIBLE
ALLEGATIONS THAT EVIDENCE WAS STOLEN FROM COURT RECORDS, EVIDENCE OF INNOCENCE WAS WITHHELD, AND VERN WAS THE VICTIM OF RACE BASED TREATMENT BY THE SHELBY COUNTY DA's OFFICE.
In July of 2020 following a George Floyd march and moment of reflection by the Memphis - Shelby County legal community, Vern Braswell received a letter of apology from anonymous source who apparently participated in the march and seemed to be having a moment of conscience as a result of their participation.
In what seemed to be an attempt to make partial amends or to establish credibility, the source produced some actual original document
that went missing from Vern's Shelby County Criminal Court files immediately before his appeal 15 years earlier.
The apology letter said:
- evidence which indicated Vern was not guilty of murder was withheld from his trial attorneys in 2005,
- character evidence and sentencing evidence was stolen from Vern's trial court files in order to sabotage his character based appeal,
- these items were kept in a sealed envelope found in the prosecution's possession during Vern's case,
- that keeping withheld evidence in envelopes is a common practice,
- White defendants are treated “more fair” than Blacks by the Shelby County DA's Office, and
- a young Black attorney lost her law practice because she honestly spoke out (and testified) about seeing the sealed envelope of withheld evidence while it was in the prosecution's possession.
READ THE BOMBSHELL LETTER OF APOLOGY AND SOME OF THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS THAT WERE STOLEN FROM THE COURT FILES RIGHT BEFORE VERN'S CHARACTER APPEAL.
VIEW THE FORENSIC EVIDENCE OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITY BY SOMEONE INSIDE THE SHELBY COUNTY CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM TO SABOTAGE VERN'S CASE - Link to Evidence
MEDIA COVERAGE OF MISSING EVIDENCE THAT RESURFACED AFTER 15 YEARS
"Former Memphis educator Vern Braswell hopes resurfaced character letters lead to prison release"
NBC affiliate VIDEO
"New evidence in Vern Braswell case? Family of former school assistant principal convicted of killing wife says new evidence proves his innocence"
New evidence surfaces in 16-year-old murder case
The Commercial Appeal
Missing 15 years, character letters resurface in Vern Braswell murder case